Monday, January 29, 2007

Golden memories.

Listening to the O P Nayyar special on Radio today brought alive some of my Golden Memories.

According to my parents, Mom used to sing some standard Marathi lullabies to us when we were babies ( that constitutes first 3 to 4 years of life). I can't obviously remember those times, but I'm sure these are few of the sweetest memories for my Mom.

What I do remember is listening to my dad singing some old melodious songs to us before we slept. In the cold winter nights his voice used to generate the kind of warmth that no quilt can give. In the hot summer nights in NOIDA, when the current used to play tricks with us, Mom and Dad used to fan us with Newspapers (i suspect, till late into the nights) and he used to sing to us. Few of his favorites were Kisi ki muskurahaton pe ho nisaar, thandi hawa ye chandani suhani, ye raatein ye mausam nadi ka kinara, Maine tere liye hi saat rang ke sapne chune, kahin door jab din dhal jaaye, lakhon hain nigaah mein.

I used be awed at the sheer simple yet compelling melody of these songs, especially sung by my Dad, whom I used to consider the greatest singer.

He was my hero then, now and will always be !! :)

3 comments:

Murali said...

whom I used to consider the greatest singer.

Ab kaun hai ye mahaashay?? WHo is now the according to youh greatest singer ??

Pragnya said...

I was never a fan of my dad's singing skills but we used to make him tell the same story EVERY single day! Gosh inspite of knowing the story byheart, still wanted him to repeat it with the same enthu!! We even used to correct him if he missed a single word! Golden days indeed :)

Goley said...

yeah pragnya :)

@Ally : I was a kid then. I obviusly like many other singers now, eg sonu nigam :P