Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Don't Fake it to Make it, Fake it to Become it !!

An interesting ted talk I watched today:

   http://www.ted.com/talks/amy_cuddy_your_body_language_shapes_who_you_are.html

Amy Cuddy, an Assistant Professor at Harvard business school talks about 'faking power poses' to make yourself believe that you can do it and do it well. For example, before an interview or an important presentation, you should try a few power poses like spreading your arms as if crossing the finish line. You will definitely feel more confident and empowered.

I remember a similar story from a many years ago.

I was ten yrs old and had gone for a picnic with my sister and some family friends. My parents were busy that day and could not make it. We had a lot of fun the whole day, running around, playing in water, eating at road side dhabas. But it was really late by the time we were on our way home. And this was when I remembered that I had a maths test the next day. I was (and am)  panicky by nature. I started crying and got really scared that I did not get a chance to study and there is no time left now.

Thats when Andhare Uncle, my dad's close friend, said to me, "I know you are already well prepared for the test. Don't worry. Just believe in yourself, punch in the air and say 'Yesss!!!' and you will do well".
He punched hard in the air and said 'YESSS!!' loudly. He made me repeat it a few times. I started giggling and forgot my panic.

The next day before the test, I actually hid under the desk, punched in the air and quietly said "YESS!!"

I aced the test !! :D

Thank you, Andhare Uncle, for teaching me power posing, so long before researchers started trying it :)


No comments: